Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

It could have been worse. It could have been longer.

I guess it's not a good sign if the best thing you  can say about a book is that it wasn't too long but I was always told "If you don't have anything nice to say.... don't write a blog."  Or something like that.  I never was good at doing what I was told.

The Doctor's Baby is not a new book but I hadn't read it because I didn't like the cover or the title.  It sounded/looked like the contemporary equivalent of anything with Fabio on the cover.  I don't have anything against those but they just aren't my cup of tea.

I have read Cindy Kirk before and enjoyed the two books I did read:  When She Was Bad and One Night Stand (both of which I would recommend).  But based on the title and cover art I didn't have extremely high expectations of this book:  The Doctor's Baby.  It started off OK but the heroine just seemed to get wimpier as the book progressed.  She HAD been through a lot in her life but I just had a hard time respecting her.  I wanted her to have some fight in her but everything she had been through made her want to crawl into a corner.  I felt sorry for her but I didn't really think she would pull through it.  She just made me feel sad.  Also, I thought she was a bad mom.  She went back to work maybe two days after leaving the hospital with her premature son and left him with babysitters and then would go out afterwards to have some "me" time.  I'm all about "me" time but not when your baby is 4 weeks old, you're a single mom, and you've already worked for 12 hours that day! 

I don't really want to give the details (my bare minimum will be contemporary romance written in third from his/hers POV) because I don't think it's worth reading.  I think I would have not finished it except there wasn't a lot left.  I wouldn't waste your time on starting this one unless you are looking for a book that you won't mind putting down to clean your house.  DON'T let this be your example of Cindy Kirk.  DO read the other two I mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment