Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Holy Guacamole! Where are my cigarettes? A review of Indulgent Pleasures by Karen Erickson

I think my face might be red but I'm smiling!  This was my first trip into erotic romance and I LIKED IT!
I'm a contemporary romance kind of girl.  My favorite authors are probably Jennifer Crusie and Rachel Gibson.  If those two are filet mignon and lobster then Karen Erickson is a giant piece of chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream and hot fudge and chocolate sprinkles.  And then maybe some more fudge.
I don't know what I expected from Indulgent Pleasures.  I have to admit that I stumbled upon it and probably would not have bought it except it was only 99 cents.  I think I assumed that I'd get some great sex scenes but that I would be sacrificing the story.  But I got the story too!
The basic idea is:  She is a reporter, he is a famous former baseball player that is media shy (of course).  She is researching women's sexual fantasies and wants to try some out and he is a willing participant.  I'm sure you can figure out where the sex scenes come in.
If you like contemporary romance should you read it:  Yes!  Obviously if the sex scenes in a Susan Andersen book make you uncomfortable then don't, but if every now and then you want a little more but don't want to sacrifice the story then this is what you want.
What I'm looking for:

  • Written in third person with multiple points of view.  For most of the book it was written with his/hers POV but towards the end we get the POV of two lesser characters.  I understood why it happened but it threw me off a little to get that only at the end.
  • OK... cover your ears (or eyes) if you don't want "language" but it was actually a little refreshing to see a phrase like "her pussy was wet" instead of "her womanly center was glistening with desire".
  • I may have been too turned on to notice but I'm pretty sure I didn't see the word "throb" at all.
  • My only real complaint, and it's not really a complaint, was that it was long.  756 pages on my nook. I am often disappointed at the end of a book because I wanted more but I think I, personally, want something longer than 400 pages but shorter than this.  I am a girl with a limited attention span!  I was anxious to find out what happened!
In short, I will be reading more Karen Erickson and probably more erotic romance in general. Can I live off chocolate cake?  No.  I still love steak and lobster but I know where to get dessert now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow 756 pages? The book is a pretty standard length novel but that is a heck of a lot of pages - I don't know what happened there!

    And I'm so glad you enjoyed it - thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete