Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Jane Graves: Please write more often!

I have been dying for a good romantic comedy.  I even started one about a cowboy/vampire.  I was desperate!  So I was looking through Barnes and Noble reviews of contemporary romance and stumbled upon a new Jane Graves:  Black Ties and Lullabies.  I've read all of her books and the one that came out right before this one:  Tall Tales and Wedding Veils is great.  But it was published in 2008!  I wasn't nearly as impressed with any of her previous books.
I started out a little wary of the book.  Call me a throw back, call me anti-feminist, I don't care but I didn't think I could get into the female lead, Bernie, when she was the bodyguard of her leading man.  I was wrong.  What started out as a read of desperation turned into something that I really enjoyed and I'm now looking forward to her next release which is coming in the fall.
So my problem with some book reviews revolves around the fact that some of them seem to be more about how witty the reviewer can be vs. giving me the information I need to make a decision for myself.  I could give this book an A- or 4 1/2 stars but that won't help you if you just can't get into a book that doesn't have at least 4 borderline erotica stories or if you prefer books written from one point of view.  So, here is the information I'm usually looking for:
  • It is a contemporary romance but I wouldn't put it into any other major sub-genre.  She is a body guard but it is not a suspense.
  • It is written in third person with two points of view (his/hers).
  • She is a tom-boy but pretty with some self-esteem issues.  He is a rich womanizer who, obviously, changes his ways.
  • Sex scenes weren't quite as plentiful or racy as I might prefer them but were present so I was OK with them.  They left me wanting a little more instead of wanting to jump my husband in the shower but he had just mowed the lawn so I didn't really want to anyway.  
  • Overall I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.  I hope Jane graves doesn't plan on another 3 years in between books!  
  • My favorite parts (and just so you know it says she gets pregnant on the back cover so I'm not spoiling anything):  1.  The conversation about how to have pregnant sex.  Hysterical!  Made my husband listen to me read it to him.  2.  The comment made by her friend when discussing if she'll ever have a clean house again after the baby.  "I'm just telling you that cleaning isn't important.  No kid ever became a happy, healthy, well-adjusted adult because he grew up in a house with a spotless kitchen floor." Words to live by!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for saying such nice things about Black Ties!

    Yes, I took a few years off from writing, but I'm back now in a big way. My next book after Black Ties is only a short time from now. It'll be published on September 27, 2011.

    Thanks again for the lovely review. I do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete